Date:      Fri, 17 Jul 2009 00:47:57 -0700
From:      perryh@pluto.rain.com
To:        dkelly@hiwaay.net
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 5000' ethernet?

David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net> wrote:
> Not directly FreeBSD related, but how much of a chance is there
> that two machines could communicate directly over 5,000 feet of
> cat5 with no special hardware?

After reading (at least most of) the discussion that has arisen
from this, I've had another thought which would use the wire
already ordered -- although it does involve "special hardware".
Maybe you could set up what would amount to your own two-point
telco:

Option 1:  Put a T1 frame-relay box at each end.  I don't know how
far a T1 can run without a booster of some sort, but I'd think it
must be more than a mile or it would not have been commercially
feasible.

Option 2:  Put an ordinary DSL modem at one end and a DSLAM at the
other end.  Again I'm not sure what the range is, but DSL used to
be referred to as the solution for "the last mile" from the telco
to the customer so it may be up to the job.

AFAIK neither of these really needs the signal quality of Cat 5 --
they both should work just fine over Cat 3 -- but surely the higher
grade wire can't hurt (and it may increase the usable DSL distance).